Monday 2 January 2017

100 Days of Making Comics - Day Two - Switching Panels and Shading a Statue Head

Happy bank Holiday! (If you're in the UK, if not happy Tuesday!)

Welcome to 100 Days of making Comics, a challenge in which the goal is to spend a minimum of 30 minutes a day working on or towards comic creation.

Today is day two, I managed to tear myself away from the Playstation for a while this morning to work on the current page I'm working on of JAR, yesterday I was working on panel one of this page, today I decided to do a bit of shading on panel two.
Click on any of the images to view larger.


If you looked at the images within yesterdays post you may have noticed that panel 2 and 3 were empty whilst panel 4 had some pencil work on it, although most of the details were in fact off screen. You may have also been thinking "why has he drawn panel 1, then panel 4, skipping two panels?" 
Well the explanation is quite simple really, the contents of panels 2 through 7 are each close ups of various objects that are within the room drawn in panel 1, this statue is on one of the bookcases that line the back wall, so which object I draw first isn't really that important! 
Actually that's not entirely true, although I know what all of the objects are that will be in the panels, I have yet to draw a couple of them in panel one, so it'd probably be best to do that first before drawing a close up. 
Anyhow, I picked the head to draw first as, originally, I'd planned on having it in panel 4, with the eyes looking slightly down to panel 5 on the bottom row, this being a method of leading the readers eyes down as they go from panel to panel. But after sketching him out I then wanted the eyes to be more of a fixed stare (the reason is plot related so I won't explain) so I flipped the image and now have him in his present position, eyes facing forward in a fixed stare looking directly to panel 3.   

I've then done some shading on him, not going overly into fine details as this will be coloured so a lot of the lighting effect will be done within that stage.

That's me done for today, I'm going to do a bit of research into the the objects contained in panel 3 and get sketching that out, then attempt to fit in a small amount of gaming before I go out for the day!


Hope you all have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment