Tuesday 12 February 2013

No Escape - Progress 02

In this next step I have started adding the hair and eyebrows, and have added in the basic lines for the straight jacket.

To do the contour lines I tried out a technique that may not be the best way, but has an interesting advantage. As the character is on a separate layer in Photoshop I utilised the layer effects options, using the stroke option gives you a decent contour line if the image is of a large enough scale, and the added bonus is that if you want to reshape part of him, say his cheek, you can simply use the eraser tool and the contour line will move with the shape you create with it. It also can work in reverse, add in a few brush strokes and you can enlarge his cheek, and the contour line again will just move into place.
I got this idea whilst thinking about how good it would be if Photoshop had a smart move tool, which behaved in the same way as the move tool in Zbrush when sculpting.
The closest would be the smudge tool, but that just doesn't work in the way I want it to, for adjusting proportions etc.
I should really just do all of that in the sketching stage but like many others I'm always too eager to just jump in and get some paint on the canvas.
I shall endeavour to pace myself in the future, as I know it is the best way to work.
But still, I want a move tool like Zbrush's! lol

Anyhow, the contour lines are done with that method, and the inner lines drawn.
Next steps will be to shade the jacket, continue refining the mouth area with more detailing, soften the brush strokes some more on the skin to get it blended better, and add in lighting on the hair and eyebrows.

Once all of that is done I'll finish it off by adding facial hair/stubble, going over a few times adjusting the lighting and shadows, add a background and call it done!


No comments:

Post a Comment