Wednesday 27 February 2013

Caricature Step 01 - Inks

Hi All!

I'm going to do another step by step painting, this time a caricature doodle, that I liked and thought might be good to develop into something finished.
No real plan, just doodled a few faces, liked this one the most so went with it!
I won't post the initial sketch as it's pretty much just a rough version of the inked one, with pretty much no changes made whilst inking, apart from repositioning his teeth a little (they just didn't look quite right in the sketch).

I'll try and do the updates in around 5 or 6 steps, with a little narration on what's been done on each step, and some thoughts on why I chose to do what I have done at that stage. All this should be hopefully done over the course of two days, and completed in time for Fan Art Friday! (Hopefully)

The 6 main steps are (for me anyway) -

                                    Sketch                  (Draw what comes to mind and pick what to develop)
                                    Ink                        (Pretty simple, ink over the scanned in pencils)
                                    Flats                      (Start to colour the image with flat, mid range colours)
                                    Texture                  (Paint the skin and textures in the image, hair etc)
                                    Shade and Light     (Paint the shadows and lighting)
                                    Background           (Create a background, this will often be part of the image as a
whole, and will be done along with each step, but with a caricature doodle like this one, often I'll wait until the character is done to see what might look good behind him. All depends how the drawing goes to begin with, and which doodle I chose in the first place.)

At this stage I chose to use a more flowing style for the lines, and no thick contour line, as that would give it a more comic book look. I wanted this to feel more cartoony.
Most of the concentration goes into making sure the line weights are in the correct places, according to where I chose the light source to be coming from.
I chose top right, so the thicker lines will be placed all lower and to the left, thinner lines upper and to the right. Sometimes it doesn't look right so you can use a little artistic licence, just not so much that it's just plain wrong!

See you in step two!


                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment