Tuesday 19 February 2013

Ghost Rider - Progress 04

Hey everyone, hope your weeks are going well!

So I finally managed to get back to my Ghost Rider painting today, and onto step four and the flames at last!

This seemed like a really daunting task when I sat down to get started, but I'm happy to say my first experience with painting flames has been a fun one so far.
It seems after doing some research that there are many different techniques to painting flames, all of which will give different results in style, and different results in realism.
For this I took it that my level of realism would end up maybe somewhere in the middle, if I'm lucky!, as it's my first go, so I thought I'd try out a mixture of two approaches.
The first is to outline the object in question, use the stroke function and from there use the smudge tool to produce the flame shapes.
The second is to paint them directly.
So this is the result so far of the two combined, it is still only the blocking in stage (I guess that's obvious as the flames are grey) but it's nicely in a place where I can mess around with the shapes with little fear of ruining the picture as a whole! Just adding flames with the brush, and shaping them with the smudge tool.
This will be going on for an indefinite amount of time, just until I like the way it looks and decide not to go further.
Once I'm generally happy with how they all look I will colour the flames themselves, using the colourise feature and the history brush to get the level and gradient of colours I want.
Then I'll go over them again with a combination of the standard soft and hard brushes to sharpen up and fade out everything where needed.




No comments:

Post a Comment